According to ESPN’s Jeff Passon, Cleveland Indians Free-agent Carlos Santana has reached a 2-year deal with the Kansas City Royals according to reports.
First baseman Carlos Santana and the Kansas City Royals are in agreement on a two-year, $17 million deal, sources confirm to ESPN. Royals had been heavy in the first base market and get a veteran with power and on-base skills. @JonHeyman was first on the deal.
— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) December 8, 2020
According to Passon, the deal is for $17.5 million over 2-years.
The contract also includes performance bonuses such as becoming an All-Star or winning a Silver Slugger or Gold Glove award.
Santana has spent 10 of his 11 seasons with the Indians.
Santana ranks only behind all-time great Jim Thome(1, 008) on the all-time Indians walks list.
He is also a career .327 at Kauffman Stadium.
Santana, 34, made the All-Star team for the Indians 2 years ago when you hit .281 with 34 homeruns and 93 RBI’s.
But, during the 2020 season, who only hit .199 with 8 homeruns and 30 RBI’s in the shortened season of 60 games.
As a result, the Indians declined his 17.5 million option.
“One of our objectives this offseason was to add a middle-of-the-order bat, someone that would blend in well with our current group, make us a lot better,” Royals general manager Dayton Moore said. “Carlos certainly does that.”
“He was one of the primary targets for us when we began to make offseason plans,” Moore said. “You know, once we began our season, we started talking mid-to-late July [about] players that would potentially fit for us. Carlos’ name was at the forefront of that based on the opportunity that we perceived that would perhaps present itself for us — middle of the order, switch hitter, highly professional. Winning-type player.”